March is National Nutrition Month and this year’s theme is “Celebrate A World of Flavors”!
Our newsletter theme is designed to showcase diverse flavors from around the world in recognition of our different bodies, backgrounds, goals, and tastes!
Enjoying different flavors from around the world is a great way to learn more about different cultures. Many global cuisines offer balanced dishes that include foods from each food group that can be nutritious, well balanced, and full of flavor.
Here is an example of how to embrace global cultures and cuisines when planning your breakfast:
- Za’atar mixed with a little olive oil and spread on whole wheat pita bread, then topped with tomato slices, olives, cucumber, and fresh mint.
- Vegetable upma, an Asian Indian dish, that can be made with semolina or rice, spiced with ginger and other seasonings.
- Or a Spanish omelet with potatoes and other veggies, topped with a sprinkle of cheese.
World Obesity Day
In tune with global and diverse flavors, World Obesity Day is March 4, 2022!
Obesity is a global problem. Around 800 million people are living with the disease and millions more are at risk of developing obesity. Obesity was once viewed as a problem for developed countries, but obesity is now on the rise in areas of South Asia and parts of Africa. Together we can create a healthier future!
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
PREP TIME: 15 mins
- 1 TBS green onions chopped
- 1/4 C diced, julienne or matchstick carrots
- 1/4C diced celery
- 1/4 C diced water chestnuts
- 1.5 TBS hoisin sauce
- 3 ounces finely chopped chicken—cooked
- 3 large lettuce leaves (Boston or Bibb lettuce)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Combine chicken, carrot, celery, water chestnuts and hoisin sauce in a bowl.
- Divide mix between lettuce leaves
- Sprinkle with lime juice and green onions
- Roll up and enjoy!
Calories: 97kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 2.3g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 257mg
The Benefits of Eating a Diverse Diet
- Improved Weight Management
By focusing on variety, you are more likely to select foods that support a healthy heart & weight. A balanced diet keeps us feeling full longer!
- Provides a wide range of nutrients
With focus on the variety and balance of foods at our meals, increased intake of fruits and vegetables will provide your body with an array of vitamins and minerals.
- Boosts your Immune System
The nutrients from a well-balanced diet will help you fight off illness or speed up your recovery!
Resource: CDC: Benefits of Healthy Eating
LAP BAND of Louisville Support Group
Join Zoom Meeting
Thursday March 10, 2022, at 1:30 PM
Meeting ID: 935 3476 5545 & Passcode: U1YTXu