LAP-BAND® System Weight Loss Procedure
The Lap-Band® System Procedure: How It Works
The Bariatric Program at U of L Health, Mary & Elizabeth Hospital
U of L Health, Mary & Elizabeth Hospital and Louisville Surgical Associates have developed the only program in the area designed exclusively for the care and management of the Lap-Band® System patient.
The Bariatric Program at U of L Health, Mary & Elizabeth Hospital includes:
- A multidisciplinary team committed to providing the highest level of care at every phase of the program. Team members include Surgeons, Bariatric Coordinators, Dietitian, Exercise Physiologists and access to psychological services.
- All preoperative testing completed in one day.
- Designated nursing unit to care for Lap-Band® System patients postoperatively
- Access to postoperative follow-up with coordinators, dietician and exercise physiologists
- Bi-Monthly web based support groups.
The demand for Lap-Band® System Surgery has been growing steadily since it’s approval by the FDA in June 2001. It has been proven to be safer and as effective as other more invasive bariatric procedures, with over 250,000 Lap-Band® System surgeries performed worldwide, it’s a proven safe viable alternative offering excellent weight loss results.
Advantages of the Lap-Band® System
- Safest weight loss operation
- Less invasive
- Complications are fewer and less severe
- Vitamin needs are simple and vitamin deficiencies are rare
- Avoids severe osteoporosis from calcium deficiency
- Avoids unhealthy muscle wasting from protein deficiency
- No “dumping syndrome”
- No stretched out pouch causing weight regain
- Can be adjusted during pregnancy for adequate calories and vitamins
- Weight loss is healthier, slower and less likely to cause gallbladder problems
- Less expensive if you have to pay for your operation
- Outpatient in most cases